Description of Figure 2
Roles and Products
The Roles and Products figure shows who is responsible for what to produce an STRS software-defined radio for a mission.
- The system engineer for the mission is responsible for the requirements.
- The STRS platform provider is the organization responsible for:
- the design and development of the SDR hardware platform, including the STRS OE (e.g., infrastructure, OS), and associated documentation. The OE and hardware platform are a unique set and become the SDR platform.
- all the documentation associated with the platform.
- the FPGA platform-specific wrapper and software header files specifying the required interface, constants, typedefs, and structs.
- any STRS script formats or software configuration file formats, any extensible markup language (XML) schema, and any transformation tool for controlling instantiation, and their associated documentation, if deemed necessary.
- If the STRS platform provider delegates responsibility for part of the OE to a separate infrastructure provider, the responsibility for the appropriate files and documentation may be delegated to that provider as well. If the STRS platform provider delegates responsibility for part of the hardware to a separate hardware provider, the responsibility for the pertinent HID documentation may be delegated to that hardware provider as well.
- The STRS platform provider is ultimately responsible to integrate and deliver all aspects of the platform and OE documentation.
- STRS application developer has the responsibility to evaluate the contents of the STRS Application Repository against the mission-developed application requirements and determine if a new application should be developed or if an appropriate application exists in the STRS Application Repository that is a candidate for a port to the defined platform. Depending on the results of this decision, the STRS application developer either:
- creates a new application or
- ports an existing STRS application, usually retrieved from the STRS Application Repository.
The STRS application developer performs unit tests, and documents the functionality.
- The STRS integrator brings the hardware platform and software application together on the SDR platform.
The STRS integrator could be the STRS platform provider, the STRS application developer(s), a mission engineer,
or even a third party.
The STRS integrator’s role is to have the application properly running on the SDR platform to meet the communication,
navigation, or other functions of the mission.
- System integrator incorporates it into the mission spacecraft system.
- Following system integration, the STRS application developer delivers the version of the software used for the deployed system, and the associated documentation, to the STRS Application Repository.